Send me your questions at LDSWeddingQuestions@gmail.com

Monday, December 5, 2011

Choosing a Precise Color

Choosing a color can be very fun, but it can also be tedious. It's important to be very clear about the exact color. For instance, when you say "blue," do you mean navy blue, periwinkle or turquoise? And even being that specific can get confusing. About a million people are going to ask you about your color and if things match you color and if things compliment your color and if your color likes their color. (You get the point.) So, it's best to choose a paint sample or fabric swatch and disperse it to anyone who will need to match it. For example: florists, dressmakers, cake decorators, bridesmaids and people doing centerpieces or other decorations. Just to name a few. ;)

When I was planning my wedding, my mother asked, "What color do you want?"

"Yellow," came my immediate answer. Was that enough? Oh no, we needed to know exactly what shade and tone. So my mother, my future mother-in-law and I took a field trip to the fabric store for an exact color decision. Do you have any idea how many shades of yellow there are in the world? A bajillion. (That's an exact count.)

After spending about 10 minutes with me and getting frustrated that I didn't really care which shade of yellow was chosen, my mother decided we'd split up in order to cover more ground. We were supposed to meet back at our current spot in 15 minutes with a few choices. I spent the next 15 minutes staring at a rack of fabric and imagining how great it was going to be being married and what a wonderful husband my fiance will be. All too quickly, my two mothers returned with their choices. I had nothing to show for my time alone. Not to fear, my mother had come prepared with several choices.

They showed me their options and I said, "I don't care they're all beautiful. I just want yellow." This last part was said with a whine as I had not yet matured to the completely decisive, all opinionated and non-whiny Ann that speaks to you today. My mother had a plan, she would narrow it down to a few. She would hold them up to me two at a time and ask, "Which one?"

"I don't care Mom"

"Come on Ann. Which one?"

"You pick. I don't care."

"Ann, it's your wedding. You choose."

I shrug and just point to one at random, "Okay, that one."

Mom then responded with a longing look at the opposite color and asked me, "Are you sure?"

"Mom! I don't care. Pick the one you like." Is it over? Are we done? Can we go home now? Am I married yet?

So, believe me, I know how frustrating getting down to the exact color can be. Just go with it and try to have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask a question or share a story.