Send me your questions at LDSWeddingQuestions@gmail.com

Friday, January 13, 2012

Buying from the Gift Registry

Question

As a guest - should I stick to the registry or can I go offbook and get something else for the couple?

~Anonymous

Answer

Thank you so much for your question! Remember, if you want to be entered into the contest, you have to be following the blog and tell me your name.

As a guest at a wedding you can buy the couple whatever you like. The registry is just a guide. The registry used to be so the couple could choose a china pattern or silver set and then guests could come and buy portions of the set (as one full set was costly).

However, gift registries have since become a couple's wish list. These lists are filled with things that the couple specifically wants or, air-quotes, "needs", but I personally believe that a gift should say something about the giver. I myself like to choose things that I got for my own wedding that were unexpected and perfect.

So..Yes, you have to buy a gift from the registry and No, you can buy the couple whatever you deem fit.

3 comments:

  1. I am wondering how late can you send out Thank You Cards?
    ~Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are some of the more important things to spend your budget on? Like I understand that photos are going to last longer than how many times you will wear your dress, but then again your dress is in the photo. Just not sure how to prioritize my budget.
    ~Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have to have a line? We really wanted to take the time to enjoy our wedding instead of being stuck in line ALL night, but others thought it was impolite because that was their only chance to say congratulations. Could a wedding table serve the same purpose and people come to the table?
    ~Brittany

    ReplyDelete

Ask a question or share a story.