Send me your questions at LDSWeddingQuestions@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

MSN's Budget Tips

There is an article on MSN today with 50 budget tips for brides. Here's the link:


Parts of it can't be used for an LDS wedding, but much of it is helpful. Some of my favorites are:

  • have a smaller guest list
  • serve dessert instead of dinner
  • have a small wedding cake and serve guests from a sheet cake
  • use a playlist instead of a band (I'd even throw in to have a friend play DJ.)
  • use in-season flowers (I also suggest silk flowers which can be quite cheap.)
  • shop post-holiday sales
  • borrow or rent items, instead of buying (This can be applied to your dress, jewelry, decorations, tables and chairs, linens, vases, etc.)

Another of their suggestions is to be clear with your potential vendors about the budget you are willing to spend, so you don't shop outside of your price range. I would be careful. People in sales love to up-sell. I would undercut your budget slightly to them, giving you wiggle room. That will help so that when they pull out all the stops and mention cutesy little individual wedding cakes for each guest, you might have room to add on.

2 comments:

  1. I'd be careful borrowing things. I heard a horror story once from a woman who let her friend "borrow" her wedding dress. The friend ripped the dress apart and altered it so that it was completely unrecognizable. The woman was heart broken that her dress had been destroyed.
    I think it's okay to borrow or lend, just be sure to define the word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment Alise. It is important to always be specific when involving other people.

    ReplyDelete

Ask a question or share a story.